Thursday, September 12, 2013

Graduating to the Boots & Bar

Charlotte had her last cast removed this morning at her post-op appointment with Dr. Jex.  The doctor sent us downstairs to the orthotics & prosthetics clinic to pick up the brace and then we went back up to his clinic so he could show us how to put it on.

It was so nice to see both of Charlotte's feet/legs for a little while, and I could tell that she enjoyed being out of the cast.  Unfortunately, her right leg is very sensitive to the touch, having not been exposed to any sort of feeling for so many weeks.  She cried at even the slightest touch and I felt like she was a fragile newborn all over again.

Charlotte after her last cast was removed before being placed in the Mitchell shoes & Ponseti bar. 

Before we left, Dr. Jex showed me how to put her shoes on.  Her heel has to be completely down and back in the shoe in order for it to fit properly.  The shoe has three leather straps and Dr. Jex explained that the middle strap is the most significant one for keeping her foot in the "down and back" position.  He called it the workhorse strap and stressed the importance of getting it nice and tight.  He doesn't want her to wear socks for the first few days until we can get the hang of getting the shoes on correctly; he wants us to be able to check her toes for circulation. Charlotte was over tired and not a happy camper.  I felt so bad for her.  She cried and screamed the whole time with big crocodile tears rolling down her cheeks.  Then, Dr. Jex wanted me to put the shoes on while he observed to make sure I was doing it correctly.  I felt like even more of a monster, trying to hold her foot still while tightening the straps, and she continued to cry the most heartwrenching cry I've ever heard.

I know that this treatment is for the best and that it's necessary for her to live an active and healthy lifestyle.  I also know that she will only have to wear this brace for a very short period of time, relatively.  All that said, it doesn't make hearing your baby cry any easier.  I felt like crying with her.  Fortunately, I know she is strong and she will adapt to this new phase just as she has before.  She's an incredibly brave little girl and I'm so proud of how well she has done thus far.  I can't wait to share this blog with her someday when she's older so she can see just how far she's come.

Relaxing at home in her boots and bar. 

1 comment:

  1. She is so lucky to have wonderful parents that are able to care for her needs! As hard as it is for you, she will survive this part of the process just as she did the casting. And she will be forever thankful that you did this for her and her future. She's a tough little girl. We are so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete