Thursday, July 25, 2013

Round Two

I took Charlotte back to Bethesda today for her second cast. First, they had to cut off the old one. I was nervous at first, but then the technician explained that (somehow) the blade only cuts when it comes in contact with hard surfaces, so it wouldn't cut her skin. She was such a trooper and didn't cry one bit while the technician was cutting it off. 




Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the rest of the appointment. Charlotte was quite upset the whole time Dr. Jex was stretching her foot and placing her second cast. We even had to stop halfway through so I could nurse her, but that only calmed her down briefly. I felt so bad for her and for the doctor, because I'm sure it was difficult to properly place a cast on a squirmy, crying baby. 



She was even more uncomfortable today than after her first cast. A dose of Tylenol and several nursing sessions later, she's finally down for the night. Hopefully, we can both get some sleep. 

1 comment:

  1. Awww, sorry it was a little rough this time. Hopefully, each time she will get a little more used to it and it will get better!! But isn't it amazing how much straighter her foot looks already??? I was always astounded by that. It happens so fast!

    I found it helpful to feed my daughter a bottle while she was getting the cast on. The doctor liked it because she was still and he was able to more accurately place her foot. I nursed too so I had to get used to pumping enough for these weekly sessions (and this meant giving her a bottle sooner than I would have otherwise...) but it definitely seemed to help. Just thought I would share! :)

    ReplyDelete